Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Six Months Home

Gosh, six months.  It seems so surreal to type that.  In some ways it feels like we've only been home about a month, and in other ways it feels as if we've been a family forever.  Our love for each other grows day by day and I finally feel as if we're "normal" (whatever that means!).

Our baby is growing up quickly!  She wants to be a big girl so badly that I spend most of my time trying to figure out how to give her the independence she craves, while actually training her how to do things well.  Here are some of her current milestones and interests:

  • All but 2 of her 16 teeth have cut through the gums and are quickly coming in.  The other 2 are so close, so it's just a matter of time before they're in too.
  • She feeds herself pretty well with a fork or spoon, but gets bored easily and would prefer I help her after a few minutes.
  • She drinks her milk out of a cup with a straw.
  • She talks all. the. time!  Most of it we don't understand, but she says "puppy," "Mommy," "Daddy," "uh-oh," "hi," and "bye bye" very clearly.  Then there are LOTS more words that Rob and I understand in context, even if no one else understands.
  • She loves, loves, loves baby dolls and stuffed animals and would sleep with her crib FULL of her "friends", as I like to call them.  As it is, she sleeps with 5 or 6 each night.  Also, if it is an animal which could possibly resemble a dog, she calls it "puppy."
  • She also loves her books.  The current favorite is Dr. Seuss' Hop on Pop.  She can say some version of at least one of the words on every page, so we often "read" it together :-)
  • She has taken a recent interest in pushing things around the house.  Most things in our house don't have wheels, but that doesn't stop her!  Last weekend we finally bought her a little grocery cart with some play fruits and veggies.  She loves it, but I still find her pushing other non-wheeled items around the house.
  • She's not too picky of an eater, but she still doesn't eat as many things as I would like.  And she doesn't like most things mixed together, so I find myself thinking of ways to deconstruct what we're having for dinner so that we're not eating dry chicken, pasta and rice every night.
I think that's about it!  We had a really great, laid back summer.  We visited my family at the beginning of June, then went to the beach at the end of the month.  Rob's mom visited in July, and his sister visited in August, so it was nice to spend time with family and friends who don't live around here.  Otherwise, we stay busy with play dates and spending time at home.  It's definitely the most laid back my life has ever been, but I'm enjoying this season.  I know it won't be like this much longer, so I'm savoring every moment.

Since I haven't shared many photos lately, I put together a little video of some photos from June through yesterday.

Enjoy!!


1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful sweet girl and blessed family! I am in tears now after the video.

    ReplyDelete