Saturday, September 24, 2011

Fifteen Months!


I know, I know - I skipped the 14 month post.  We'd been so busy that I just didn't make time for it, and then by the time I actually had time to post something, we were half-way to 15 months, so I had to let it go. 

The update from Gladney at the end of August indicated that we could have a referral in October or November.  Based on what I've seen in September (not much), I'm beginning to doubt we'll see a referral in October.  We'll get an update from Gladney next week, so we'll see how much the projected timeline changes.  As you know by now, trying to pin down a firm timeline has been pretty futile this year, so the ONLY thing that's certain is that NOTHING is certain :-)

I have to say that for the majority of the last several months, I've had great peace about our adoption.  I've been able to see the Lord moving in our lives and in Ethiopia, and been assured that He was at work.  Being able to see that produced great peace and trust.  But can I confess that for the first time in months I've had a hard week?  I've fought discouragement every day.  Despite praying about it and KNOWING that the Lord has been leading me to focus on Him, trust that HE is in control and that He knows what He's doing, I'm still struggling.  So can I ask you for something?  If you know the Lord, would you pray for me?  I just keep praying the prayer of the father who asked Jesus to heal his son who was possessed by a demon, "I believe; help my unbelief!"  (Mark 9:24)

Despite the recent discouragement, everything else is going really well.  We've continued to volunteer at the apartment complex I mentioned a few months ago, and are loving it!  We're doing Bible Study with the kids now and I can't even begin to explain how much I love being able to talk about Jesus in a place that is, at times, incredibly dark.  When Rob & I first started voluteering there, it was just something we thought might be kind of fun or interesting.  I had NO IDEA the plans the Lord had to capture our hearts with the kids and parents in that community.  He has taken me out of my comfortable life and put me in situations that I never would have dreamed of, but I can't imagine life any other way.  I am blessed.

I'm currently reading Forgotten God: Reversing Our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit by Francis Chan - partly because I finally read Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God and wanted more - and partly to understand what I thought was the Holy Spirit moving in my heart.  He is changing a lot in me.  More than I can explain in one blog post, but something I would like to write about soon. 

This has really been an amazing year.  A year I wouldn't trade for anything - not even what we thought this year would look like:  a referral in February and home with our baby in July.  The Lord has given me more of Himself.  I am blessed :-)

Happy 15 months!

2 comments:

  1. Praying for you!!! Maybe I saw your little one while I was walking through the Gladney houses this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you Rebecca... your wait has been incredibly long, and your perspective such a challenge to us. We love you.

    ReplyDelete